The Volunteer Victoria Board of Directors is appointed by the Members of the Greater Victoria Volunteer Society at the Annual General Meeting. On June 18th 2019, the Society Members approved the following board appointments:
Director:Taylor Acton, CPHR, SHRM-SCP is the Recruitment Advisor, Talent & Culture at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. She works in the areas of health and safety, recruitment, performance management, and employee relations. Taylor holds a bachelor’s Degree in English from the University of Victoria and a HR Management Certificate from Simon Fraser University. Taylor brings strong writing and communication skills to her work and volunteer activities.
Director:Stephanie Benedict is the Manager, Business Services at Coastal Community Credit Union. Stephanie has spent two decades in the financial industry in a variety of roles, and now focusses her passion of helping societies and business owners succeed by helping them with their cash management needs. Outside of work, Stephanie is passionate about teaching financial literacy to others. She is a certified Each One Teach One Coach and trainer as well as a Power Play Young Entrepreneurs trainer. She is active in the Arthritis Society and has chaired the Walk for Arthritis for the last two years.
- Director: Glenys Cavers has served on Beacon Community Services’ senior management leadership team since 2006, overseeing their 7 volunteer-run thrift shops and the SHOAL Community Centre. SHOAL Centre serves over 1,000 members who participate in drop-in programs and events, and also operates a commercial kitchen and public dining room. Additionally, the Centre houses Beacon’s Volunteer Services program, Youth Employment Program and Better at Home Program. Glenys holds a Bachelor of Physical Education degree from McMaster University and spent over 20 years as a professional swim coach in Ontario prior to moving to Victoria in 2001. She is currently on the Leadership Council for UWLM Healthy Aging, UVic Coop Employer Advisory Committee, and the Southern Vancouver Island and Southern Gulf Islands Seniors Planning Table.
- Co-President: LAURA CASEY is the Manager, Licensing and Information Services at Consumer Protection BC – a not-for-profit corporation. Laura was a member of GIVE, an employee-driven volunteer program for Consumer Protection BC which creates and manages fundraising events within the organization and assists with policies and procedures. She completed an undergraduate degree in Psychology at UVic and other post-graduate training courses in leadership. She is passionate about running, hiking, and helping the community.
- Director: Debbie Chabot is the Media Director at Hot House Marketing. She is an experienced marketing and communications practitioner. Debbie has served on several boards previously and has experience and training in community leadership. Debbie is a life long passionate volunteer.
- Secretary: JULIA DAWSON loves to engage and support people as they give of their time and skills to volunteer work. Her experience includes more than years as a volunteer coordinator with Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary and at Our Place Society, where she successfully managed a program involving over 300 volunteers. Julia is also a volunteer, giving time to Reynolds High school where her two children attend and serving on music and arts teams at Emmanuel Baptist church where her husband of 21 years is on staff.
- Director: Graham Hill is the General Manager at Island Mediquip Ltd. He has been self employed for 10 years and has experience with human resource, accounting, and marketing. Graham holds a Degree in Business Administration and is currently sitting on the board of the Victoria Disability Resource Society. Graham’s hobbies include hockey, soccer, sailing and fishing.
- C0-President: KATIE GANASSIN has worked for many years in the non-profit sector and currently manages Community Services for BC and Yukon at the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada. She is also the co-president at Volunteer Victoria, and has volunteered with many organizations, including Innovative Communities, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, TedX Victoria, This is Vic, Atomique and the MS Society. Katie is currently attending Royal Roads University where she will complete her Masters in Leadership with a health specialization in 2019. She studied fine art, psychology, and education at the University of Victoria and will continue to be a dedicated and lifelong learner. Her passions lie in public service, health and wellness, social innovation and community relations. She is an avid cyclist, swimmer, outdoor adventurer, and artist (with her current love lying at the pottery studio).
- Vice President: EMMA KIRKLAND and her young family moved to Victoria from the lower mainland. Emma followed in a family tradition and worked in the audit and accounting field before finding her passion working for non-profits. Emma currently works as the Development Coordinator for the Arthritis Society of BC.
- Director: TINA LOWERY. Tina works hard to meet and exceed expectations in every role, challenge, or project she takes on. Tina worked in the museum and heritage sector for many years before becoming a volunteer management professional. Tina is currently the Regional Coordinator of Volunteers for BC Cancer Agency. She is also completing a Master’s in Community Development at the University of Victoria.
- Treasurer: BRENDA MACFARLANE has been working in the Financial Services industry since 1990. Prior to joining DeLuca Veale she worked for 4 major Canadian financial institutions. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Management from the University of Toronto and in 2002 earned an MBA degree from Wilfrid Laurier University in Ontario. She earned her Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) designation in 2007. In 2011 she became a Fellow of the Canadian Securities Institute. Brenda is a Chartered Investment Manager (CIM® ). Brenda has been a Financial Planner since 2004 and has been specializing in Portfolio Management since 2014. Brenda is an Elder Planning Counselor (EPC), with special insights into the financial needs of the aging population. Brenda enjoys continuous learning, such as taking courses in language, public speaking and financial analysis. Brenda lives in Brentwood Bay, BC with her husband and her two children.
- Director: DON MONSOUR is an advocate for community involvement. Don has enjoyed participating and leading organizations in achieving their goals. While working with profit and not for profit organizations for over 45 years in several key initiatives he has developed a strong understanding of the rules and regulations that govern many boards and committees. As a leader of volunteer groups made up of individual personalities and objectives, he has successfully managed challenging goals and budgets and helped to raise close to 2 million dollars for not for profit associations. This experience, coupled with his business background, has provided Don with the ability to work within board guidelines helping to achieve the strategic goals and direction as set by the board. Don truly believes that understanding the dynamics and chemistry that exists on a board is vital in supporting a board successful outcome.
- Director: CALE STERLOFF was born and raised in Vancouver and received his Bachelor Degree in Economics from the University of Victoria after transferring from Miami Dade Florida. Cale and his wife Anna have a busy household of four young boys and can all be regularly seen at one of the local ice rinks. He has been in the financial sector for over 12 years in both Management and Advisory roles. One year ago, Cale joined the Commercial team of Island Savings Credit Union. During Cale’s 17 years in Victoria he has been actively involved in serving community councils, charity board positions and regularly volunteers his time to various organizations.
Director: Chris Warner has worked in advisory-related financial positions since 2006 involving personal credit, commercial credit, investing, and insurance planning. Currently Chris works as a permanent insurance specialist and estate planner focused exclusively on high net worth financial planning. Chris regularly facilitates workshops and speaks at educational/professional events relating to financial planning and is a former member of the Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP). Chris studied Journalism in university, possesses strong communication skills, and worked professionally as a photographer, including official event photography at the 2010 Canadian National Gymnastics.