Volunteer Victoria provides individuals currently working or volunteering in the sector with high quality, accessible professional development, training, learning and networking opportunities to help build capacity. Through this work, we aim to meet the core needs of local organizations as well as address the emergent trends in effective non-profit management.
We provide engaged learning opportunities in the areas of fund development, volunteer management, communications and outreach, board governance, human resource development and organizational resilience strategies. All of our current offerings are listed here.
- Fund development: workshop topics range from donor relations, developing annual fund development plans, grant writing, acquiring sponsorship, social enterprise development and strategic storytelling.
- Volunteer Management: themes include best practices in volunteer management, including our capstone four-week course on the foundations of volunteer management practices, as well courses on equipping staff to work with volunteers and measuring the return on investments in volunteer programs.
- Communications and Outreach: subjects range from developing strategic social media plans, basics in Twitter and Facebook, media relations and developing impactful presentations.
- Governance: topics range from board governance models, executive director and board relations, developing an engaged board and deconstructing legal responsibilities.
- Human Resource Management: subjects include performance management, building resilient teams, group facilitation and negotiating salaries and benefits packages.
- Organizational Resilience: topics range from strategic planning, succession planning, project management and strategies in program sustainability.
Other learning opportunities and networks:
Fundraising and Social Media Q and A sessions: Volunteer Victoria hosts free Q and A sessions on the topics of fundraising and social media for smaller non-profit organizations. These lunch hour sessions provide an opportunity for staff and volunteers to pose their “burning” fundraising or social media questions to local, senior fundraising and communications professionals. It is also a chance to network and draw on the collective wisdom of the group.
Emerging Leaders Network: The Emerging Leaders Network is a funded initiative of Volunteer Victoria’s that began in May 2010, created by and for the “next generation” of non-profit leaders. The Network offers Greater Victoria area emerging leaders and newer Executive Directors opportunities to participate in leadership-focused networking and professional development and training events. It also helps them connect with, and learn from, current non-profit leaders.
Executive Directors Network: This network is led by Volunteer Victoria to support member Executive Directors to network, share information and ideas, build skills and mentor and learn from each other.