How do I get started volunteering in Greater Victoria?
1. Decide what kind of volunteer opportunity you want.
2. Search Volunteer Victoria’s online database. If you need help finding a position book an appointment to meet with a volunteer advisor.
3. Select your top 5 favourite volunteer opportunities.
4. Apply to the organizations directly.
5. Start making a difference!
What kind of volunteer opportunities are out there?
If you can imagine it, it might exist! Volunteering isn’t confined to repetitive tasks anymore. Modern volunteering appeals to almost any hobby, interest or skill – from fashion stylist to acting as a board member, there’s always something for you.
What kind of things will non-profits ask me for when I apply?
We work with more than 300 non-proft organizations and each one has a slightly different volunteer application and intake process. Depending on the position, you may be asked to:
- complete an application form
- send your resume & references
- meet for an interview
- get a police check
- get a child welfare check
- attend an orientation
- attend specialized training
How do I find the perfect volunteer position?
VolWeb hosts more than 600 volunteer positions, which can be a little overwhelming. Choosing a volunteer position is the hardest part of volunteering!
Before you begin your search, think about the following questions. Be honest with yourself!
- Why do you want to volunteer?
- How much time do you have to commit? Do you want to volunteer for one day or something ongoing?
- Do you want to volunteer with your head or your hands?
- Are there any specific causes that interest you?
- Are you looking to do a certain kind of activity?
- Is there an age demographic you are most comfortable working with?
- What skills do you want to learn or are you looking for job experience?
- What kind of surroundings would you like to be in?
- What special skills or talents do you have to offer?
- Do you have any limitations that you will need to fit into your position?
- What kind of volunteer work would you dislike?
- Do you want to volunteer in a team, alone on individual projects, or from home?
- Would you consider a virtual or micro volunteering position?
Whether you are a first time or returning volunteer, someone who wants to build new life or work-place skills, meet new people through volunteering, or you have specialized skills that require additional help finding just the right location to volunteer – a volunteer advisor can help!
Volunteer Advisors meet with your one-on-one to help you explore options, learn more about agencies, and identify your favourite volunteering positions. They can help you prepare to apply for a volunteer position and follow-up to make sure you feel supported. Most importantly the advising service is free and you can meet with an advisor as many times as you need to until you find a position that works for you.
Book your appointment to meet with a volunteer advisor. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250.386.2269.