Volunteer Victoria provides individuals currently working or volunteering in the sector with high quality, accessible professional development, training, learning and networking opportunities to help build capacity. Through this work, we aim to meet the core needs of local organizations as well as address the emergent trends in effective non-profit management.
Executive Directors Network: Join your fellow Executive Directors from small and medium sized organizations across Greater Victoria in a monthly gathering to share, discuss, and explore non profit management issues. There is no formal agenda and everyone is welcome.
We host the get togethers in person at the Volunteer Victoria offices and also on Zoom, an online webinar platform. Grab a coffee and be a part of this network from where ever you are. The Executive Directors Network meets the second Thursday of the month at 9:30am. Register Online.
Volunteer Managers and Coordinators Mixers: Volunteer Victoria hosts a monthly gathering of Volunteer Coordinators/ Managers. Come meet your colleagues and peers to have a conversation about all things volunteer related. The gathering is informal and there is no agenda. Share your thoughts and ideas. Register Online
Emerging Leaders Network: The Emerging Leaders Network began in May 2010, created by and for the “next generation” of non-profit leaders. The Network offers Greater Victoria area emerging leaders and newer Executive Directors opportunities to participate in leadership-focused networking and professional development and training events. It also helps them connect with, and learn from, current non-profit leaders.
A bit of history… In January 2017 Volunteer Victoria launched the 150 Reasons Youth Project. This project was a series of 12 community based events designed and delivered by a steering committee comprised of youth between the ages of 15-29.
And now. The 150 Reasons Youth Project has now concluded but we have taken what we have learned from this inspiring experience to form the Volunteer Victoria Youth Engagement Team. There is no cost to join this fun & rewarding program and we are actively inviting youth between the ages of 15-21 to join as we look to help you: develop new skills, increase your network in community, work collaboratively with a wide range of partners, and engage as a volunteer in a meaningful fashion in community.
What are the requirements to join this Team?
- You are between the ages of 15-29.
- Go through an intake meeting and complete a Criminal Records Check.
- Participate in the planning and delivery of at least 2 community group volunteering events throughout 2018-2019.
- Available to meet on Saturdays at Volunteer Victoria (usually 10am-Noon) when required to plan events. This may change as event dates approach.
- A helpful and positive attitude.
What do youth get out of the experience?
- Volunteer management training.
- Career related training & skill development.
- Volunteer hours to support graduation requirements.
- Leadership & event planning opportunities.
- Networking & meeting new friends.
- References upon the successful conclusion of your participation.
- Enjoyment & amazing memories of group volunteering in community.
If you would like to get involved please contact Emily Donald, or Elyse Kornhauser Volunteer Victoria Youth Programmers, at 250-386 2269 ext. 28 or e-mail email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org . They would love to hear from you!
Volunteer Victoria would like to acknowledge with gratitude the financial contribution from TELUS, Harbourside Rotary, Hamber Foundation, Victoria Foundation, Provincial Employees PECSF, and the Province of BC Gaming. Their generous support has made the Youth Engagement Team possible.
The annual membership fee to join Volunteer Victoria is:
- $30 – Individual Annual Membership for persons interested in supporting the mission of Volunteer Victoria
- $180 Annual Membership for charitable organizations and registered non profit agencies with budgets under $2 million
- $260 Annual Membership for charitable organizations and registered non profit agencies with budgets over $2 million
For organizations that are not non profits organizations or registered charities, services can be purchased on a one-time or annual basis. To be eligible for Affiliation in the Greater Victoria Volunteer Society organizations need to meet the following criteria:
- Accept Volunteer Victoria’s policy statement on human rights and non-discrimination;
- Comply with the Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement;
- Agree to designate an individual within your organization to coordinate volunteers;
- Ensure that volunteers do not displace paid staff; and
- Carry sufficient amounts and appropriate types of liability insurance to protect your volunteers.
Affiliate Fees range between $260 and $550 plus GST. Please note that Affiliate organizations are not members of the Greater Victoria Volunteer Society and are not eligible for voting rights or restricted member-only privileges.
Community Investment Network
$260 Annual Membership for organizations who have a philanthropic vision and are looking to engage in community.
April 7th to 13th, 2019 is Canada’s National Volunteer Recognition Week
Volunteer Victoria is hosting a number of events and activities this week to celebrate volunteerism and for members to participate in.
National Volunteer Week “Thank You Volunteers” Recognition ads run in the Black Press and Times Colonist Newspapers. The ads are a tradition that volunteers read with fondness and appreciation. To register for the promotions please visit https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/april-7-13-2019-national-volunteer-recognition-week-newspaper-advertisements-tickets-56203033787
Volunteer Victoria was delighted and grateful to be chosen as the Charity of Choice at Social Media Camp last week. (Thanks Social Media Camp!) If you have never heard of this annual gathering, it is an amazing opportunity to learn about the latest trends and tools to manage and use social media – and to meet 500+ representatives from all types and sizes of organizations across western Canada and beyond.
Social Media Camp may not seem like an intuitive go-to destination for anyone who still uses a flip phone or gets messages from Twitter asking,”Are you still out there?” because you have used your account so infrequently. It may even be intimidating to think about spending days with people – never mind 500+ people- who talk, live, and breath everything social media. And, it is difficult to accept that in the fast moving evolution of social media, some of the systems and tools we have only just come to use and love may already be considered dinosaurs.
All this being said, let’s not focus on why we may be afraid to live in a social media world, and let’s review why a little vacation to a social media destination can be so invigorating. This are just a few of the things we learned at #SMC2015:
– Content remains king. Before you get bogged down on which version of what tool you need to start or build your social media following, focus on building rich and relevant content on a regular basis and offer it freely to others to use and distribute
– No one shares boring messages even if they are only 140 character long
– Humanize the content. If you can make it fun and egaging
– People connect to information through social media – brand loyalty is still built through quality interactions and trust is only earned and kept when we deliver on our promises
– The majority of people today learn about and make value decisions about an organization/product online – long before they ever meet face to face or send an e-mail
– There are a small number of people who need to know exactly how the technology works – don’t let a lack of understanding of new social media tools be the barrier to offering a great online experience
While media plays an essential role in how all organizations attract and inform our clients, donors, volunteers and champions, we cannot forget that most of the work is still social – without meaningful relationship nothing builds and lasts.
And, one last thing, Agenda Office furnishings made Volunteer Victoria the coolest booth at Social Media Camp this year! Thanks to the loan of an amazing height adjustable desk we were able to wow people with our message and our technology.