Learn more about Volunteer Victoria by clicking on the following links:
- Our Mission, Vision, and Values
- Annual Reports and Audited Financial Statements
- Our Board of Directors
- Volunteer Victoria Staff
- Our donors and Champions
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Does a Volunteer Centre Do?
The Greater Victoria Volunteer Society, more commonly known as Volunteer Victoria serves our community through six core functions:
- Volunteer Victoria matches individuals and groups interested in volunteering with opportunities across Greater Victoria.
- We collect and manage information on a comprehensive range of volunteer opportunities. The list of volunteer opportunities changes daily.
- We provide potential volunteers of all ages and stages of life support and advice so we can match their motivation to volunteer with the right type of volunteering opportunity.
- We served youth at schools, in group volunteering activities, and supported youth one on one to address their specific barrier to volunteering.
- Our Volunteer Access Program and Recreation Visiting Program serves people each year who are a mental health or substance use journey.
Marketing and Promotions
- We promote and market volunteering through local and regional events and media campaigns on a weekly basis in local newspapers, and on television and radio.
- Volunteer Victoria stimulates, encourages, and celebrates local interest in volunteering and community activity.
Emerging and Best Practice Development, Training and Development
- Volunteer Victoria explores emerging practice and promotes best practice in working with volunteers to all volunteer involving organizations.
- We deliver training and certification for potential volunteers, volunteers, volunteer managers, and staff in voluntary organizations.
- Volunteer Victoria host an Executive Directors Network and an Emerging Leaders Network to help peers connect, build and share knowledge, and to convene conversations, to develop partnerships and collaborations, and to explore opportunities.
Develop Volunteering Opportunities
- Volunteer Victoria works in close partnership with voluntary organizations, municipalities, and public sector agencies as well as community groups and faith groups to develop local volunteering opportunities. We play an important role in in developing the quality of volunteering opportunities.
- When individuals face barriers to volunteering we work creatively to develop volunteer opportunities that meet their specific needs.
Policy Development and Response
- Volunteer Victoria identifies proposals or legislation that may have an impact on volunteering or the voluntary community
- We lead and/or participate in campaigns on issues that affect volunteers or volunteering
- As the local experts on volunteering Volunteer Victoria informs strategic thinking and planning at a municipal and regional level
Strategic Consultation and Resources
- Volunteer Victoria provides tools, resources, and consultation to the community on issues related to volunteer and non profit management.
- We host a library of books and resources on non profit management and have public spaces where members of the public can come to explore their volunteering options.
- We offer members access to Grant Connect – a fundraising database that helps organizations find grants.
- The Management Assistance Program provides short-term skilled volunteers to help with specific projects.